The Journalism and Media program seeks to promote and amplify just and inclusive news and narratives, based on the belief that accurate and compelling media plays an important role in informing, engaging, and activating individuals and groups to take part in democratic practices and processes.
To build and strengthen organizations creating and disseminating just, accurate, and inclusive news and narratives, the program supports work in three areas:
- Professional Nonprofit Reporting
- Nonfiction Multimedia Storytelling
- Participatory Civic Media
In each of the three areas, the program pursues the following objectives:
- Build strong, independent, and sustainable organizations and networks that anchor a resilient and independent media ecosystem designed to meet the needs of a diverse democratic society.
- Address barriers that limit the creation of, access to, or participation in media activities, including the legal, safety, digital security, and technological challenges facing organizations and individuals.
- Promote learning, leadership, innovation, and field-building opportunities that explore timely and emerging issues related to the production, dissemination, and engagement with journalism and media.