The Google News Initiative, in partnership with the National Newspapers Publishers Association, the National Association of Hispanic Publishers, the Native American Journalists Association and the Association of Alternative Newsmedia, has launched the Google News Initiative Student Fellowship program aimed at developing and supporting students of color who are interested in careers at the intersection of technology, media, and journalism.
U.S. newsrooms often don’t reflect the diversity of the audiences they cover. A 2019 survey by the American Society of News Editors estimates that less than a quarter of newsroom employees identify themselves as a person of color, compared to the U.S. population, which is 24%. The percentage is even smaller for newsroom leadership.
The Google News Initiative Student Fellowship program intends to address the barriers of access to early career opportunities many students of color face, as well as support investigative journalism, technological innovation, and digital transformation in local newsrooms that serve diverse and underrepresented populations.
For any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At least 18 years of age as of January 1, 2021
- Enrolled in an accredited college or university as of January 1, 2021 or graduated from an accredited university within the last 12 months
- You are eligible to work in the United States of America
- Able to work remotely if required by host newsroom and to comply with state and local health guidelines
- Are able to demonstrate financial need